Quality of teaching is very important to English New Zealand and forms a critical part of the English New Zealand Standards.
English New Zealand schools offer a variety of Teacher Training (TESOL) courses. These include introductory courses, NZQA-approved qualifications, and internationally recognised qualifications such as the Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults).
Successful completion of any of these courses does not guarantee you will have met the minimum qualification profile required for employment at an English New Zealand school.
To be eligible for employment at an English New Zealand member school, candidates must meet specific qualifications and experience requirements. For permanent teaching roles, an initial TESOL qualification that meets the following criteria is a requirement:
- An initial TESOL qualification should be externally validated and moderated by a reputable examination body (typically a university or recognised examination board). It should include a minimum of 6 hours’ supervised, assessed and moderated teaching practice and at least 100 hours of TESOL input (examples are Cambridge CELTA and Trinity CertTESOL).
Auckland English Academy
Auckland English Academy’s five-week TESOL instructor course is designed for teachers who want to teach English to children aged 3–13 years.
CCEL is one of New Zealand’s leading private language schools with a reputation for excellence, and offers:
- Cambridge CELTA — four weeks full-time, offered 2 – 4 times a year.
Language Studies International
Aimed at speakers of other languages, the Cambridge TKT Certificate course is for those who wish to prove their knowledge with a globally recognised certificate. Modules covered include: background to language learning and teaching; lesson planning and the use of resources for language teaching; and managing the teaching and learning process.
It can be taken as part of an English-language course and runs for either four or eight weeks with the option of sitting the official Cambridge exam at the end.
Languages International is New Zealand’s longest-established private ESOL teacher training institution, and since 1988 they have trained more than 1,500 teachers. Courses offered are:
- Cambridge CELTA – four weeks full-time.
- Cambridge DELTA – part-time.
NZLC is a Cambridge CELTA Training Centre as well as a Cambridge TKT Testing Centre accredited by Cambridge Assessment English. For more than twenty five years a variety of teacher training courses have been offered for native and non-native speakers to become professional English teachers.
- Cambridge CELTA — five weeks, full-time in Auckland.
- TESOL Course and Cambridge TKT — six weeks, full-time in Auckland.
- TECSOL Course and Cambridge TKT: Young Learners — six weeks, full-time in Auckland.
TESOL and TECSOL courses culminate with the respective TKT exam dates.