To gain and maintain membership of English New Zealand, providers must meet the English New Zealand Standards.
These TESOL-specific Standards are benchmarked against globally accepted quality standards for the English language industry.
Staff Qualifications and Professional Development
- Specific qualifications and experience profiles for academic staff, including the Director of Studies/Academic Manager.
- Expertise required for delivery of specialist programmes.
- Professional development and support for academic and non-academic staff.
- Compliance with New Zealand employment legislation.
Curriculum and Course Delivery
- Appropriate design and delivery of courses focused on the needs of learners and other relevant stakeholders.
- Use of current language teaching principles, practices, and technology, and incorporating the New Zealand context.
- Maintenance of teaching records, and systematic reviews of teaching and learning processes and outcomes.
- Publication of maximum class sizes in marketing collateral.
- Robust assessment processes for placement and progress.
- Reporting and attendance monitoring.
- Integrity of examinations taken, or certificates awarded.
- Processes for administration of high-stakes assessment, moderation and benchmarking.
Learning Environment and the Student Experience
- Appropriate learning and teaching environment, delivery of advertised services and supply of teaching-learning materials.
- Compliance with relevant laws and regulations, including copyright.
- Orientation and access to facilities in support of the cultural and religious needs of students.
- Out of class/out of school support and advice to students, including a 24-hour emergency contact service.
- Appropriate accommodation services and access to appropriate activities programmes.
- Age- and culture-appropriate support services in first language as necessary and adapted suitably for students under 18.
- Access to job-seeking support and guidance on work rights in New Zealand.
- Monitoring and managing attendance and compliance with visa conditions.
- Thorough, transparent, and well-documented complaints procedures.
Governance and Management
- Systematic programme of self-assessment.
- Annual self-assessment against the English New Zealand Standards; actions taken recorded and signed off by management.
- Obligations of membership including abiding by the English New Zealand Constitution and By-Laws.
- Honest, fair, responsible and ethical business practices.
- Fair treatment of students regardless of cultural background, academic ability, gender or age.
- Ensuring English New Zealand is not brought into disrepute.
Promotion and Student Recruitment
- Clear and accurate promotion, including in partners’ materials.
- Transparent recruitment practices and promotion of services.
- Appropriate display of the English New Zealand logo as a quality endorsement.