Member schools must meet the English New Zealand Standards in addition to the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) requirements for registration and accreditation.
Schools accepting international students must also be signatories to the New Zealand Ministry of Education Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.
NZQA recognises the English New Zealand Standards as part of their External Evaluation and Review (EER) quality assurance system.
The English New Zealand Standards require member schools to undergo a full audit every 4 years.
Up to 20% of the membership is spot audited each year to ensure ongoing compliance, including monitoring of student attendance. The Standards assess:
- staffing, employment and professional development (including teaching qualifications and experience)
- curriculum and course delivery
- the student experience: facilities, resources and support
- governance and management
- promotion and student recruitment
For more detailed information on the English New Zealand Standards and membership, email email@example.com
Code of Ethics
English New Zealand Members are bound by a Code of Ethics:
- Complying with the rules and regulations under which they are registered by the Government.
- Endeavouring to maintain high standards of facilities and teaching.
- Employing only qualified experienced staff committed to providing a positive learning experience for students.
- Ensuring their prospectus or other promotional literature gives a fair and accurate representation of their school(s) and the services offered to students.
- Providing a welcoming atmosphere and properly counselling all students to ensure that they enrol for the courses best suited to their requirements.
- Guaranteeing to visit host families before any students are placed in their home, and at any other time when it is deemed necessary or appropriate.
- Having in place student services and welfare practices that will help students to adjust to study and life in a new country.
- Guaranteeing the integrity of any examination taken or certificates awarded.
- Treating all students fairly regardless of cultural background, academic ability, gender or age.
- Maintaining high professional standards in all dealings with students, agents, homestay families and other people associated with the school.
- Fostering a good working environment for staff, and providing fair terms and conditions of employment in the context of the relevant legislation.
- Maintaining honest, fair, responsible and ethical business practices.
- Maintaining the good reputation of English New Zealand.